“We cannot conduct this election tomorrow,” Gov. Mike DeWine said of his recommendation to move the event to June because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said Monday night that he is declaring a statewide health emergency in order to postpone Tuesday’s primary election due to the coronavirus, essentially overriding a judge’s ruling just hours earlier that blocked the governor’s request to delay the election until June 2.
DeWine said in his health emergency announcement that Secretary of State Frank LaRose will “seek a remedy through the courts to extend voting options so that every voter who wants to vote will be granted that opportunity.” DeWine said earlier on Monday that he wanted to move Ohio’s primary election amid concerns about the health risks that come with in-person voting during the pandemic, particularly for older and immunocompromised residents.
Because the governor doesn’t have the power to change the election date, he first needs a judge’s approval to move the date of the primary. Former Ohio Department of Aging Director Judith Brachman, 81, filed a lawsuit Monday in Franklin County so that elderly voters don’t need to choose between their health and voting,For folks who are confused:Some folks running in the election challenged that.
日本 最新ニュース, 日本 見出し
Similar News:他のニュース ソースから収集した、これに似たニュース記事を読むこともできます。
Coronavirus U.S. Update: Crowded airports as travelers are screened, West Virginia only virus-free stateScenes of crowded U.S. airports have been shared on social media as travellers returning from Europe face screening.
続きを読む »
Tom Hanks shares coronavirus update while under isolation in Australia: 'Thanks to the helpers'The actor and wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the coronavirus disease, they announced last week.
続きを読む »
Watch Live: White House To Give Update On How To Get Tested For CoronavirusTop Trump administration officials have promised details on a new website showing whether one should get tested for coronavirus, and how. A briefing is set for 5 p.m. ET Sunday.
続きを読む »
NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo Calls On Trump To Use Military In Coronavirus Fight'Doing so still won’t provide enough intensive care beds, but it is our best hope,' he wrote in an opinion piece for The New York Times.
続きを読む »
California Gov. Gavin Newsom Urges Bars, Nightclubs to Close Amid Coronavirus PandemicHe also said restaurants should offer only takeout service, and not dine-in, in order to 'maximize social distancing.'
続きを読む »