Former UFC champ agrees to a deal that avoids a mandatory life prison sentence and attempted murder trial over the lengthy car chase and attack in 2022 that wounded stepfather of his target.
Cain Velasquez, right, appears for his arraignment with attorney Edward Sousa, who appeared with him, at the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice on Monday, Nov. 21, 2022, in San Jose, Calif. Velasquez, the former UFC champion based out of San Jose, was charged with shooting at a man accused of molesting his child.
Cain Velasquez leaves the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice in San Jose, Calif. on Aug. 16, 2024 after Velasquez pleaded no contest to attempted murder and nine gun charges for chasing and shooting at a man accused of molesting his son in 2022. The plea was part of an agreement that dropped a mandatory life prison term from his potential sentence.
Paul Bender, the man who was wounded in the shooting, said after the hearing that he was “disappointed in our court system.” “We were not happy there was a plea,” Patty Bender said Friday. “The dropping of the premeditation was disappointing. I was looking forward to trial.”were polarizing in the Bay Area and beyond because of his international fame from a decorated mixed-martial arts career fighting out of San Jose and sympathy for the father of a then-4-year-old boy who reported being molested by the adult son of his daycare provider.
Throughout the case, the technical facts of the case have been largely undisputed, and Velasquez’s previous attorney, celebrity lawyer Mark Geragos, sought to refocus attention in court and in public on Velasquez acting out of rage from the idea of his son’s being sexually abused. Earlier court filings from the defense asserted that Velasquez suffered impulse control issues and brain injuries from over a decade of prizefighting; he retired in 2019.
日本 最新ニュース, 日本 見出し
Similar News:他のニュース ソースから収集した、これに似たニュース記事を読むこともできます。
Former UFC star Cain Velasquez admits to attempted murder in 2022 shootingFormer UFC champion Cain Velasquez has admitted to his role in a 2022 pursuit and shooting involving a man suspected of molesting a relative, prosecutors in Santa Clara County announced Friday.
続きを読む »
Cain Velasquez pleads no contest to attempted murderFormer UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez entered a plea of no contest to felony attempted murder, assault and multiple weapons charges in a California court on Friday in exchange for a lighter sentence.
続きを読む »
Cain Velasquez pleads no contest to shooting man accused of abusing sonFormer two-time UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez pleaded no contest Friday to felony attempted murder, assault, and weapons charges in a case involving a man who allegedly sexually abused Velasquez’s son.
続きを読む »
Man charged with molesting child of Cain Velasquez will go to trial, judge rulesChild implicates Harry Goularte in court by marking a drawing; authorities say the charges prompted Velasquez to shoot at Goularte and his family during a frenzied chase last year.
続きを読む »
Cain Velasquez pleads to shooting at man charged with molesting his sonFormer UFC champ agrees to a deal that avoids a life prison sentence and attempted murder trial over the lengthy car chase and attack in 2022 that wounded stepfather of his presumed target.
続きを読む »
Noche UFC Secures Backup Fighter for Sphere Show, Official UFC 306 Poster ReleasedManon Fiorot will reportedly be the back-up fighter for Alexa Grasso and Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 306 (Noche UFC).
続きを読む »