Anaesthetist suspended after leaving high-risk surgery repeatedly for phone calls

日本 ニュース ニュース

Anaesthetist suspended after leaving high-risk surgery repeatedly for phone calls
日本 最新ニュース,日本 見出し
  • 📰 ChannelNewsAsia
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 92 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 40%
  • Publisher: 66%

The patient died the following day and his chances of survival may have been further lowered by the doctor's delay in recognising the changes in the patient’s vital signs, says the disciplinary tribunal.

SINGAPORE: For leaving an operating theatre several times to speak on his mobile phone, an anaesthetist has been suspended for two-and-a-half years by a Singapore Medical Council disciplinary tribunal.

The grounds of the tribunal's decision were made public on Tuesday after the hearings in October and November last year.On Sep 1, 2016, the 64-year-old patient underwent an open reduction internal fixation bone cement right femur surgery at Gleneagles Hospital, where Dr Islam was the patient’s only attending anaesthetist for the operation.

“A responsible and competent anaesthetist is required to be constantly physically present by the patient’s side to closely monitor a patient at all times during an operation,” stated the tribunal. “But the relevant benchmark standard required him to have been constantly physically present by the patient’s side to closely monitor the patient at all times during the operation,” said the disciplinary tribunal.

During the operation, an alarm went off and both the patient’s blood oxygen levels and pulse reading became unreadable. The electrocardiogram monitor continued to show readings, while no blood oxygen level could be obtained even after using an ear probe.Closed-circuit television recordings showed that the anaesthetist was in the corridor when blood products were brought into the operating theatre.

The patient suffered from cardiac arrest in the operating theatre but was resuscitated by a team of doctors, including Dr Islam. The patient was then sent to the intensive care unit to recover before he died the next day. However, they were concerned that he left a high-risk patient undergoing high-risk surgery, under the care of the AU nurse and it did not appear to be clear - even from the anaesthetist's own evidence - that he had informed the AU nurse on every occasion.

When a patient is under general anaesthesia, the patient’s basic bodily functions such as breathing, are largely dependent on the anaesthetist, the council added.

このニュースをすぐに読めるように要約しました。ニュースに興味がある場合は、ここで全文を読むことができます。 続きを読む:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

日本 最新ニュース, 日本 見出し

Similar News:他のニュース ソースから収集した、これに似たニュース記事を読むこともできます。

Anaesthetist who left patient during operation to take phone calls suspended 2½ yearsAnaesthetist who left patient during operation to take phone calls suspended 2½ yearsThe patient, 64, had surgery performed at Gleneagles Hospital on a fracture caused by his bone marrow cancer in 2016. Read more at straitstimes.com.
続きを読む »

Anaesthetist who left patient during operation to take phone calls suspended 2½ yearsAnaesthetist who left patient during operation to take phone calls suspended 2½ yearsAn anaesthetist who walked out of the operating theatre several times to take calls from other patients while another in his care was undergoing surgery has been suspended for 2½ years, the Singapore Medical Council said on Tuesday. During the operation in 2016, the...
続きを読む »

Singapore doesn’t expect surge in Covid-19 cases from travellers from China: Ong Ye KungSingapore doesn’t expect surge in Covid-19 cases from travellers from China: Ong Ye KungChinese travellers accounted for 5% of all imported cases in the last four weeks of 2022. Read more at straitstimes.com.
続きを読む »

Singapore doesn’t expect surge in Covid-19 cases from travellers from China: Ong Ye KungSingapore doesn’t expect surge in Covid-19 cases from travellers from China: Ong Ye KungThe low number of people coming to Singapore from China so far and contributing to severe cases here, and the lack of any new, more virulent variant emerging there, is why Singapore’s
続きを読む »

China’s Covid-19 surge not expected to significantly impact Europe: WHOChina’s Covid-19 surge not expected to significantly impact Europe: WHOPrecautionary measures should be rooted in science, proportionate and non-discriminatory. Read more at straitstimes.com.
続きを読む »

No Covid-19 case surge expected in upcoming festive celebrations: Malaysia’s health chiefNo Covid-19 case surge expected in upcoming festive celebrations: Malaysia’s health chiefHe also said daily Covid-19 cases and hospitalisation rates were on a downward trend. Read more at straitstimes.com.
続きを読む »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 12:16:37